This is my Homemade Spiced Applesauce that I recently made. Homemade applesauce is my favorite treat when served chunky and hot.
This applesauce is very healthy for you as it has no added sugars or preservatives. There are only three ingredients: Apples, Water, and Cinnamon (though you can add many other spices as well, such as nutmeg, allspice, ginger, etc.). Sometimes I like to add a bit of fresh squeezed lemon into my applesauce, but this batch did not have any lemon in it.
1. Peel and cut apples (at least 5).
2. Place into a medium to large saucepan and add about 1 c water (add lemon here).
3. Bring the water just to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly.
4. Add spices and continue stirring the mixture.
5. Continue to cook until apples start to mush on their own (if the water evaporates add more water a few Tbsp at a time). As soon as the apples are soft you can stop cooking (if you want more chunky sauce). The longer you cook the smoother your applesauce will be.
*Tip 1: If you add too much water simply continue to simmer the applesauce until more water evaporates out of it.
*Tip 2: You can also stop the cooking process way earlier and use this as an apple pie filling after adding a few extra ingredients.
Please do not steal this image and claim as your own - or my recipe (though this one should be widely known and used).